With 3 bank holidays in one month, and an ongoing cost of living crisis, it’s fair to say the start of this summer season has thrown up some challenges for creatives working within the music industry.
That being said, there is a sense of “bouncing back” within the industry post covid, and more smaller events are popping up across the South West UK.
We’ve compiled a short list of things you could do as a musical artist to “stand out” amongst the crowd, get noticed, and get future bookings.
1. Showreel - a short video compilation of you performing, to give venues and promoters a good idea of what your act is, and the vibe you’re going for. We suggest a 3-5 minute clip of 6-8 songs, in high definition, with some clean editing.
2. Release music on streaming sites - originals or covers, this is vitally important in 2023. It shows promoters and venues that you take your music seriously, and gives them the chance to listen to your music in the background, or even submit your music for radio play (Antix Radio are always looking for new local music). Even though streaming sites are notoriously poor at paying artists, it is still income; look after the pennies, and the pounds will look after themselves!
3. Be Polite - this really should go without saying, but a simple short introduction, and a simple closing of an email goes a very long way, along with a short bio, links to your music videos, social media links and contact details.
4. Attend Open Mics - Open Mics are a great way of getting exposure to new music industry people and venues, and a great way of gaining confidence. We are always on the look out for new talent to join Antix Music Network, and this is a great way to #GetInvolved
5. Update social media - take this time before things get too busy to update any websites and social media, for example, new photos and making sure all contact details are correct - if you’re in a band, have multiple members on your social media, or if you’re a solo artist, perhaps a friend or family member, so any enquires and opportunities don’t get missed.
Written by Frazer Mitchell - Events Coordinator at Antix Music Network
Frazer Mitchell - Producer, DJ, and Events Coordinator at Antix Music Network